Saturday, August 21, 2010

My first Shadow Sunday

I am endlessly fascinated by the play of light and shadow..so when I recently
discovered Shadow Shot Sunday, I knew I'd found a home!
My husband and I are drawn in by the forbidden.
When we came across this abandoned barn warning of 'No Entry', we were inside the second we found an opening.

I have posted a few shots from this series previously, but thought these new pics were perfect for my first Shadow Sunday.
My camera and I were in heaven that day as we explored the golden light that forced its way in through murky windows and the battered remains of doors.

The air was perfectly still, the silence palpable.


Our footsteps were quietly muffled by the sawdust floor, and a wonderful feeling of timelessness engulfed us.

It is this sense of serenity we love about empty buildings.


Whatever their history..however chaotic their past, when abandoned by humans, rooms return to a place of peace.
.
.
.
.
I can promise you these will not be the last pictures of abandoned builings you see from me....


.
.


Many thanks to 'Hey, Harriet' for hosting this Sunday event! To see more, do drop by her page at...
http://heyharriet.blogspot.com/
.

16 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Welcome to shadow fun, Lynette! What a marvelous post! And such a fascinating old abandoned barn! Those forbidden places are always the most fun and I love this one! Terrific shadow shots for the day! I'll look forward to your post for next week! Enjoy your weekend -- well, what's left of it!

Sylvia

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh I love the colors and spaciousness in these photos...and the cool blue lights.... (I trust it wasnt the Picton barn, hee hee!)Shadow Sunday sounds fun.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Those big blue light fixtures (?) are quite striking amid all that unpainted lumber.

Unknown said...

Mmmmm...gorgeous, contemplative photos! can't wait to see more like these.
xo
lynn

Gemma Wiseman said...

Wonderful shadows from the boarded door! And those light fictures are a surprising blue shade for a barn! Fascinating old place!

And thank you for the delightful comment on my blog!

Katy Cameron said...

Ah, you do that with your camera too then lol

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Lynette : ) I am so glad to meet another Canadian !
This must have been amazing to shoot in .. the atmosphere must have been thick with history .. how busy it once must have been .. you could almost feel that and the void it now holds for the lack of attention and activity .. great shadows !
I love seeing your furry kids ! We are cat people and my two girls are FULL of personality : ) .. I'm sure yours are too !
Yes .. SSS is a wonderful meme and the only one I stick to : )
Joy

Ralph said...

I am imagining animals with hooves that once inhabited the place. Racehorses to cows, they would have a story to tell were they there. The little bit of light make this barn much less forbidding than the sign indicates...

Olive said...

Hi Lynette! Your shadows are perfect and love the murkiness. Joe and I would have gone in as well. We love old buildings. hugs♥olive

Amber Leilani said...

beautiful pictures! you should have been with us yesterday as we sought out abandoned or destroyed plantation homes along river road. unfortunately, the one place we knew was abandoned but in tact had a lovely sign letting us know there was "armed personell" on the grounds. alas... only pictures from the road...

Drawn to The Sea said...

It's very unusual when words do pictures justice. You've accomplished that here; your thoughtful, quiet, vivid description made it seem I was stepping along with you as I felt every word... twice.

Peaceful day,
Julia~

Julie@beingRUBY said...

HI Lynette
Wonderful shots.. in fact they remind me of old aussie woolsheds...

Love the shadows and sense of peace.. Have a great week xx Julie

EG CameraGirl said...

Wonderful play of light and shadow here! Your work is beautiful.

Ella said...

Beautiful pics with the shadows and lighting!
They are serene...You captured the mood; Wonderful!

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Oh, my gosh! What a gorgeous find! And, thank goodness you didn't get caught! This was certainly worth the sneak in for and how nice to have your husband as an accomplice!
The lighting is perfect, I love the patterns and the blue light fixtures.
Good job for your first SSS post!

Susannah said...

These are wonderful, I love slanted golden light. You have captured the feel of this place wonderfully and I love your descriptions too. :-)