Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Signs, Signs: Signs We Obey


If you've read some of my earlier posts, you will know that my husband and I have an unfortunate penchant for ignoring 'Keep Out' signs. For us, the lure of the unknown seems to undermine our normally law-abiding ways, that curiosity inexorably leading us into mischief.
.
Mesa Verde, Colorado
.
But there are signs we would not dream of disregarding. We would never risk causing damage to ancient ruins that have stood for many years and deserve to be left for future generations to marvel at as we do. 
 .

.
Nor would we trample through environmentally fragile environments in which plants and birds are protected from the ravages of encroaching habitation.




 .
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Serpentine Fen, British Columbia

Surely, we all wish only to be thoughtful stewards of this wonderfully diverse but fraught world.

.
.
.
And of course, it only makes sense to obey signs like the one at left, particularly if you haven't ever seen Poison Ivy up close and cannot readily identify it.
.
We did go through this trail in Colorado with a little more caution than we normally exercise.
.
There may be hope for us yet!
.
.
For more signs from around the world, do check out Lesley's great meme at the link below...
.
http://signs2.blogspot.com/

14 comments:

Andy said...

Nice photos. The signs are not overly demanding so I would obey. Unfortunately there are A-holes ready to destroy anything.

RedPat said...

Nice collection of signs that should be obeyed! I think you got Andy a little riled up.

Kay L. Davies said...

I always laugh when I think of you busting out of your law-abiding ways to go trespassing. You definitely don't look like a scofflaw. (There's an old word for you.)
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good for you! Glad to hear there are limits to your scofflawery (if that's a word).

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh I love all these cool signs, showing there is concern for sensitive areas........good to know!

Unknown said...

it pays to heed these signs. but there are people to don't respect anything, they'd do anything just for the fun.

Signs

Gemma Wiseman said...

An interesting collection of warning signs! Love the ruins in the first photo!

Postcardy said...

Nice collection of signs and photos.

Lesley said...

that first sign looks a little less permanent than the others, but I really like its simplicity!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Yes...I'd certainly obey those signs!!

Martha Z said...

I agree, a "keep out" sign placed for the protection of the environment or others, I usually obey, one placed for my own protection I take under advisement.

EG CameraGirl said...

I always have trouble disobeying signs...BUT there are some I can talk myself into ignoring. However, these signs are ones I would definitely obey as disobeying them might cause harm.

Joy said...

Great theme. The first looks a fascinating place. Signs that give reasons, and even one with a please, are easy to obey, especially the last, eek.

Katy Cameron said...

Yeah, every now and again we have to be grown ups and follow the signs... but it's still fun to break the rules on occasion ;o)