Friday, June 24, 2011

Book Blurb Friday: No. 17



All Fall Down
.
 Time has forgotten Bedford Falls, although it’s mattered little from the start. Despite appearances, evil simmers in this unloved town. Mary Sykes knows it, as do the  residents still trapped in its frozen web.

She had escaped; now death brings her back to the aunt who’d cruelly expelled her.

 Cautiously, Mary approaches her former home where cobwebs drape across the open doorway. She falters before stepping inside, unsure what she’ll find, knowing only that it won’t be good.


With a crash, the door slams shut, entombing her in darkness.

“Aunt Esther?” Mary croaks into the void, her words echoing back only charged silence.
Someone else is in the house…..
.
With this, Patrick Ferris leads us into a world where secrets fester and things aren’t what they seem. His wicked skill twists terror into the heart and leaves us begging for more. It’s a thrilling read, though you’ll sleep lightly tonight …
.
( 150 words )
.
I had such fun with this one. I was imagining reasons why the the aunt who raised her suddenly sent Mary away, and who might be sequestered with her in the darkness...more importantly what do they want with her? And just who is dead....so far?
.
I'm discovering a dark side of myself that has only shown up recently in these microfiction memes. I think I like it!
.
For more fun takes on this prompt that use 150 words or less to entice us, stop by Lisa's Writing in The Buff and check out book-jacket blurbs designed to capture our attention. 
.
.
And many thanks to Sandra Davies for the great photo!
.
.

14 comments:

Hootin Anni said...

Oh my gawd!!! Another bone chilling thriller. I love these...."Evil simmers in an unloved town". Cool.

thanks for the great comment.
have a super weekend.

Kay L. Davies said...

Fabulous, Lynette. I never would have guessed you'd have a dark side. LOL
I'm coming out that way tomorrow. When I have a better idea of my schedule, I'll get in touch with you. Maybe you and I and Maria can have tea.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Sandra Davies said...

This challenge is excellent for bringing out all sorts of writing ideas we never knew we had in us isn't it? This one sounds far too scary for me - the idea of opening doors into a not-sure-it's-empty house is a nightmare scenario as far as I'm concerned

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Scary stuff here. Part horror, part thriller, part mystery, all scary! Nice, chilling blurb. Would love to read this!

Susan Fobes said...

Yikes! This is one you shouldn't read in the dark-LOL! Sounds like you have a good start here...

Katy Cameron said...

Heh, shouldn't have read that just before bedtime!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

You could be writing novellas for publication, you're so good at it!

jabblog said...

It seems to me that this has really caught your imagination and you really, really need to write it:-)

Pat said...

This blurb makes me want to read that book! I like dark mysteries.

Fireblossom said...

Bedford Falls? I thought it was called Pottersville now! ;-)

Dominic de Mattos said...

Hi Lynette

Great blurb - it drops us right into the suspense - a real must read.

Breezy said...

Yikes!! that gave me chills!!

Tammy said...

Speaking of "wicked skill"...love your phrasing like "still trapped in its frozen web." Shudder! You drew me right in.

Grandma's Goulash said...

That is dark and intriguing. I was very interested in your remark about your dark side showing up in microfiction. I rind that true for myself as well. I doubt I could really sustain it for a full novel. But if you manage that, I'll be ready to read it.