Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Weird Water





As I went through digital folders of beach photos I've taken to see what I might post for Watery Wednesday, my attention was drawn to the shots of water that had moved beyond being only a puddle or pool, and become a different entity altogether.






By shooting close-up and excluding the context of sand and shells, some of the resulting pictures seem to me to resemble abstract paintings. The colours and textures look plastered on as if some artist had gone mad with his jars of moulding paste and acrylic paints!

Most of these shots were taken both in White Rock, and at Semiahmoo Beach a short distance further down the shore. Semiahmoo is always a favourite spot for us to visit, as it is one of the few places that allow dogs onto the sand in summer...a rare chance for them to frolic through the water with their guardians, and dig sandy holes. Very much appreciated by those of us who are dog-lovers...and who always clean up after our pets so we'll be welcomed back!

Sunlight on the water creates an effect that I think resembles the marbelized end papers on old books.
Ripples, reflections and a radiant light are things that always will catch my eye.

This picture makes me smile, with it's effervescence and immediacy, as if the wave might leap out and splash me at any moment.

By contrast, this cool study in light and dark perfectly reflects the tranquility of the pond in Watershed Park where it was taken.
.
It has been a wonderful summer for water photos, and now that Fall is here and the rains have begun, there will definitely be no shortage of winter watery photos!!
.
I'm linking this post to Watery Wednesday! For more photos that are damp, doused and drenched check out the link below!
.
http://waterywednesday.blogspot.com/
.

13 comments:

Jim said...

Great effects.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Sherry Blue Sky said...

These are spectacular and if you didnt tell us they are water, one wouldnt know. The red one looks like a planet, all of them are amazing colors, the patterns and hues are beautiful. I never knew water could have so many colors in it. They look like photos that belong in Messages From Water, by Masuro Emoto. Spectacular photos! I love watery wednesdays and shadow sundays and sky fridays........no end to glorious images. Any one of these could be blown up and hung on a wall to stupendous effect!What an eye you have!

Joanne Olivieri said...

These are amazingly so unique and creative. Your shots capture such glorious textures and colors. I really enjoyed this post.

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

All of your photos (with the possible exception of the "effervescent" one) are so peaceful and soothing and inviting that I want to take off my shoes and socks and swish my feet in the water! But the effervescent water would be good therapy too!

Thank you so much for your kind comments about my Chemainus photo and poem. I'm so glad that a BC resident has given her stamp approval!

Hootin Anni said...

Those photos look like something out of a science fiction movie....but so so very interesting.

My Watery photos are about the 'disaster area' in town during a day long rainstorm. Click Here if you'd care to join me today with your visit.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Neat photos! I don't know why, but the first one made me think of a walrus. WTF?

Judy said...

Wow!! So many views of water, and its moods! I can see walrus skin in that first shot, now that Debra has mentioned it. The colour and the way the ripples could be seen as wrinkles! I like the heart in the fourth shot! And the waves coming straight at me!!!

Kay L. Davies said...

Gorgeous, Lynette. Some of my favorite places in all the world, White Rock beach and Semiahmoo ...I didn't know about the dog area. What fun! We don't know what our Lindy thinks of water yet, and we've had her a year. I think she'd love the beach.
Your photos are fabulous. I don't know how you got that red effect (the infamous red tide, perhaps) but I love the marbleized end papers idea. I want to run to my bookshelf and find some old books -- they don't make them like that any more.
Lovely. Thank you.
-- K

wenn said...

love the ripples!

FAB said...

Very interesting effects. FAB.

EG CameraGirl said...

I very much like your watery photos. They look like specialty glass.

Penelope Notes said...

These photos are really special, Lynette. Each one has its own mood with sunlight brushing luster onto all the different hues!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love this adventure through the inner textures and moods of water! A fascinating experience!