Thursday, July 28, 2011

Where Women Create III

 

.
Computer problems caused
me to miss the July 15th deadline for, ‘Where Bloggers Create III’, an absolutely amazing event hosted annually by the wonderful Karen Valentine of ‘My Desert Cottage’. 
.
I participated last year and was thrilled at the chance to peek into the brilliant spaces of so many wonderful artist/bloggers. You should definitely check out the link at the end of this post…I can assure you, you’ll be amazed at what you see once you venture into the rooms where women explore creativity, and share their joy!
.
 .
.
Though too late to participate in the event, I thought to share a few shots of my own tiny corner of inspiration for friends who
stop by.

.
.
.
In this room, I surround myself with things I love. Settled at my desk under the Tibetan prayer flags sent by my dear friend Sherry Blue Sky, it is impossible not to feel inspiration bubbling up to the surface.
. 

.
Mine is a space stuffed to
the ceiling with treasures,
and though tightly
packed, I can put my
hand on whatever
 I need at a moments
notice,
.
Colourful boxes help keep me organized, and are cherished as
much for their beauty as for the many items they can hold.
.
.
Pens and pencils line up in neat rows...
.
 
and rubber stamps
stand to attention
against an
art-bedecked wall.
.
It's telling that my husband never worries I'll drag him into jewelry stores, but does wince visibly when I suggest a quick look into every stationery department we pass!
.

Order is good, but any decent studio
 should contain its fair share of whimsy…


It seems only fitting to me that rulers
reside in boots, and cigar boxes
overflow with jewel-toned buttons.
.
 





.
.
.
.
.
While I call this my studio, there is  very little art made there, I’m afraid.
.

I do tackle the odd project like this shadowbox
honouring my mother and father...



 .
an assemblage built around how dearly my mother loved her father...
.
.
and a collage that says how strongly I feel about the need for art in our lives.
 .
.
.
But when pressed, I’m forced
to admit that my studio is
 mainly the repository of
 my many collections!
.
Things old and worn call out to me….



Cameras long out of use...
.
.
.
.




 typewriters for which one can no longer find ribbons...
.
,-.






.
and vintage sewing notions stuffed into clear jars.
.
.
Some pieces are loved more dearly than others. I truly believe there is magic to be found in my little storybook tins.
.


 I adore this old
pen-nib box,
quickly salvaged
when it was
discarded at work...
 .
.
.





.
 and I've been collecting
wheeled tins
for so long that
they’re old friends
to me now.

.

.
.
.
.
Discarded film reels,
vintage school primers,
and bright balls of wool
have an intrinsic
beauty that I’m unable
to resist!


.
.
Clearly, I am an incorrigible
magpie!





  
.
.
.
.
I share my studio with Miss Prue. 
 .
A quiet and easy companion, Prudence tends to wear all her jewelry at once and simply pulls on more layers when she can’t decide which outfit to wear...
.
As I've been known
 to take the same
carefree approach
to life, we've come to
consider ourselves
'artistic' rather
than 'eccentric'!
.
.
The very best thing about my studio is that it adjoins my library with it's floor-to-ceiling shelves and scores of books.
.
.
A daily wander from one room to the other is the best way to remind myself how blessed I truly am...
.
Hopefully, you enjoyed the tour of my little world. I also hope you drop by "Where Bloggers Create III "- it is a true celebration of the friendship, inspiration and inclusivity that makes blogging the true joy it is in our lives.
.
http://mydesertcottage.blogspot.com/
.
.

25 comments:

Angela said...

Oh, a very creative place...full of wonderful collections!

Deborah said...

Oooh, it's like an Alladins cave, what wonderful, beautiful and interesting things to surround yourself with ... thank you for letting me visit :o)

the wild magnolia said...

Thrill upon thrill, shiver-shiver, creativity rules.

Consider myself blown away, were I to be there in person, I would be months checking everything out.
A-m-a-z-i-n-g-l-y amazing.

Thank you, for sharing.

I seriously need to come for a visit.

We have moved into an RV, many books and "things" of mine are being given away. Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, or family and friends. Sigh....life is a trade off.

Happy Thrilling Thursday.

Dawn @ alteredartists said...

Thanx for stopping by my place and I have enjoyed my visit to yours. I was amazed at the depth of your library, and I adore your shadowboxes and tributes to your relatives. Wonderful work.

Lois Evensen said...

What a wonderful place! Thank you for sharing.

Jo said...

Hi Lynette, what a wonderful space you have. And you are organized yet, as you say, the whimsy is present. I love the rulers in boots and colourful wool with knitting needles through the balls. Brilliant world. Thanks for sharing. (((hugs))) Jo

Karen Valentine said...

Oh yes Lynette!! Miss Prue is truly a fashion diva!!! LOL!! Thanks for inviting me to come over and see her! I am sorry you missed the party. I can't think of anything that stresses me out more than computer problems!!!
Have a great day and I look forward to having you join us next year!
xo,
Karen

joo said...

Can I move on:)
You've got wonderful place, really - I do love each part, but Tibetian flags and shelves with books are my favourite!
Hugs
J.

Katy Cameron said...

Oooh, I want to come and play in your creative place! I could bring Prue a companion, Diana, plus all manner of other things for you to play with whilst I rummage through your area, okay? :oD

Olive said...

Your studio is truly a magical place. I am so glad you shared it! hugs♥O

Anonymous said...

I'm a magpie, too, but have no place to display my collections so beautifully! However, my husband just started work on my library (it's already full and I have a dozen boxes full of books waiting for a spot!)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love all of the whimsical collections, the life and color in all ofyour treasures and, of course, your wall of books, which I have envied, and now happily possess myself! It must be fun to feast your eyes on all of your favorite things, collected over the years. I love the shadow box honoring your parents. Really beautiful. Thanks for this looksee into your world!!!!!!!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Oh my goodness! I **LOVE** your room - and we seem to have very similar tastes..my "art" room produces very little actual art (usually don't on my kitchen table" but does produce a wonderful, 'wonder filled' place that I can call my very own..full, fantastic, and freeing to my heart and mind. Love love love the Wellies to hold stuff! I need to find some :-)

Thanks for sharing this very personal part of your soul with us :-)

DeeDee said...

Hi Lynne

Thanks so much for visiting my studio... I love your space and all your collections.. and all so very organized too

DeeDee

Gathered Style said...

What an inspirational room! I can relate to the magpie menality. Your collections are wonderful! The camera's, movie reels, all of it. Your art is very cool, you should do more of it.
Lisa

Lurena Sheary Williamson said...

I absolutely love your creative space! I know you mentioned not creating much "art" in your space but honestly, I think your space is art! It is like an installation piece. Art is in the visit, the space and the feel. Love it!! I do think your collage work was great too. Miss Prue is great. To bad she can't hang out with my Miss Ethel. I'm sure they could swap some great stories. Thanks again for sharing.
Lurena
Tattered Moon

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I love to see creative storage!

Breezy said...

There is only one word to describe it... WOW!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Lynette! I am so happy that you stopped by my blog and took the time to leave me a comment! I do so love comments - they are special little gifts from kindred spirits, at least in my mind :D
I love your space and all of your wonderful, wonderful did I mention wonderful collections! I just visited your other blog as well and will now be a regular reader of both of your blogs - something happened when I visited your blogs - I had this sudden feeling of looking in a mirror, I think we are definitely kindred spirits. I do hope we can keep in touch...
Hugs and have a great rest of the weekend,
Beth P
P.S. Regarding that old typewriter - I have been looking to purchase one and discovered that there are many sellers on Ebay that actually sell new ribbons for old typewriters - apparently they are still being made! Just an FYI

Pat said...

What a great idea to have a room packed full of things you love! It reflects your uniqueness and artistic nature. I love Ms. Prue, your arty pal! Thanks for the tour. Your library looks fantastic, too.

romance-of-roses said...

I think your studio is exciting with many lovely things to look at. Yes, that library is awesome. Like the rubber boots with pencils,etc.
Nice to meet you. Hugs...Lu

Ella said...

I love your studio; my Mom use to have film reels like those in our basement. My Dad was a projectionist. I collect tins and have with wheels..love it! I love your story tins, your cameras~ I love what you have collected, gathered and made.
The collage is beautiful; You are talented! xXx Thank you for sharing your magically corner!

Petronela said...

So many treasures :). Lovely place just like your blog. I wanted to let you know I nominated you for a blog award, if you have the time maybe you can it out. Kisses.

Lovelinest said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your sweet comment!
I L O V E your space! It's absolutely fabulous! I love the organized chaos, with treasures crammed into every nook and cranny! One could look for days and never stop finding interesting and exciting treasures to study! Just looking at the photos gets the creative vibes flowing!

Unknown said...

What a great studio and library - how nice to have your books handy. It's good to have a special place even if you don't make a lot of things - your studio is your creation!