Tuesday, July 26, 2011

My World Tuesday

 On the west coast of Canada, the cry of seagulls is a common and welcome sound in the air.
.
Yet, in spite of the years I've lived here, and the number of birds I've seen, I had never gotten a close glimpse of young gulls.
.
 Imagine my delight then, when I came across these youngsters in White Rock last week.
.
As we often do, my husband and I had stopped at the beach to enjoy ice cream cones and a walk on the pier.
.

Approaching the old railway station/turned gallery, I noticed that all eyes were fixed upward.  Claiming everyone's attention were three balls of speckled fuzz perched precariously on the roof! Wobbly and awkward, these little ones huddled together in their shuffling attempts to navigate the steep asphalt shingles.

We could hear their thin chirping calls, and the tapping of their beaks as they examined every scrap they found to see if it might be edible. 
.
 Hovering nearby, the parents kept a careful eye  on the youngsters, but let them continue their explorations. 

. .
It was not long before tiredness overcame the trio. They scratched about for a spot to settle, curling themselves into tight little balls.

This fellow gave our hearts a start. Every time he lay down, he began to slide backwards to the edge. More than a few of us were ready to leap in and catch him if necessary...mine was not the only gasp of apprehension.
We need not have worried. Eventually, he found a corner under the eaves that offered shelter and security, and immediately dropped off to sleep!
.
While I was delighted to have my camera along that day, the sight of these little guys  is something I'll be able to recall in an instant.
.
There's definitely a reason our province is called Beautiful British Columbia!
.
For more shots from around the world, do stop by My World Tuesday and check out the amazing entries...
.
http://www.showyourworld.blogspot.com/

.
I am also linking up with World Bird Wednesday...I hope you'll stop by and visit the other participants...
.
 http://pineriverreview.blogspot.com


.

36 comments:

Unknown said...

Come to think of it, I've never seen baby gulls either. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

Sunny Simple Life said...

They are precious little birds. Great photos. I am sure it is lovely up there in your parts. Lots of nature around you.

the wild magnolia said...

This is a tremendous find indeed. I so appreciate you sharing these speckled baby Seagulls. Great photos.

the wild magnolia said...

This is a tremendous find indeed. I so appreciate you sharing these speckled baby Seagulls. Great photos.

jabblog said...

How lovely! I've never seen such young gulls before - they are very cute. Wonderful photos - well done:-)

Deborah said...

How wonderful ... and what a priviledge! :o)

Penelope Notes said...

Lynette, you are SO lucky to have captured these young gulls. I have never had the good fortune to run across them and strangely enough you found them at the local museum where I worked for a while. These are an awesome find, including the last gull that looks quite majestic as an adult. So glad that you shared your world. Hope it's shaping up to be a great week. :)

BirdingMaine said...

It's been quite a few years since I've seen Gull chicks. Great captures of the little ones!

My World Bird Wednesday post: Hummingbird Elegance

holdingmoments said...

A bunch of little beauties.
Great shots Lynette.

Unknown said...

what delightful shots! the 2nd photo is amazing, and the the last one is simply beautiful.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh they are ADORABLE. I've never seen young ones either, and you know what a lifelong love affair I have had with seagulls ever since Jonathan Livingston Seagull. I love these beautiful little puffballs. Too sweet.

theconstantwalker said...

A fantastic series of images the young gulls are so cute.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Homely little buggers, aren't they?

Lois Evensen said...

I just love that series! Spending six months of every year at sea you'd think I would see plenty of sea gulls at all stages of life, but that's not the case. We don't see many babies at all. Wonderful series!

Kit said...

I have never seen baby gulls either! Thank you for the wonderful pics I can't wait to share with my hubby. Kit

joo said...

They are wonderful Lynette! I love these cut little fellows.

John @ Beans and I on the Loose said...

The nest must have been up on the roof somewhere. How else could they have got there? I wonder if the asphalt shingles were hot on their little webbed feet. Great series and thanks for sharing.

Modesto Viegas said...

Good work!

Joyful said...

These are sweet. I've never seen baby gulls either.

Kay L. Davies said...

This is absolutely wonderful, Lynette. I've wanted to see these little ones all my life. Nobody knew where the White Rock seagulls roosted, only that they never nested in town, but somewhere on the inaccessible cliffs of offshore islands, and nobody got to see seagulls until they were strong, well-fledged juveniles.
Really, I've been wanting to see them since 1963. I was in school in White Rock 1963-64, and editor of the school newspaper. I decided the school (the old Semiahmoo High) should have a mascot, and it should be a seagull. Preferably, we should find a baby gull and tame it to be a school mascot. DID NOT happen. COULD NOT find one.
And now there are some on the roof at the Station? How absolutely fabulous! I'm thrilled to bits, and they are adorable, aren't they?
I hope Maria read this. I should phone her. This is tremendous news. Thank you thank you thank you.
Luv, K

Katy Cameron said...

Oh I love those polka dot heads, how fab! I have a friend that makes exquisite realistic animals and birds, I think he'd love these pics!

Barbara said...

Oh my gosh, they are precious! Despite all the days I've spent on the coast, I've never seen any young ones, either! I'm so glad you were able to capture these images for us!! Thank you!

eileeninmd said...

AWWW, they look so cute. Adorable photos of the baby gulls.

Springman said...

Such a beautifully photographed and lyrically written post! It never occured to me before but I can't remember seeing gull chicks either. Great stuff!

T F Carthick said...

Nice pics. Guess young birds are difficult to catch.

adrielleroyale said...

What a spectacle! How fun that must have been, and to have your camera ready and with you! :)

Reena said...

Great capture of the little guys! Just discovered you on World Bird Wednesday..glad I did...new follower!

Larry said...

These are fabulous shots of the gull chicks Lynette! I have never seen one and never knew what they looked like. Very cute!

Neil said...

It looks like it pays to have a camera handy great photos.

Arija said...

How wonderful! I too have seen thousands of gulls but never their babies. They are so ungainly and . . . cute!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful captures you were able to get of these cute little ones! I, too, am glad you had your camera with you!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Lynette those are wonderful -- I've lived near the coast (one or the other) for years and years and I've never seen baby gulls either. What a great series.

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Wonderful photos and text!
Mad Kane

Hilke Breder said...

Fantastic images! Seeing gull chicks is so unusual because they usually roost in remote areas. The book "Gulls of the Americas" doesn't even show fledglings. Thanks for posting them!

Lonicera said...

What comical little creatures! I enjoyed the pictures and the comments.
Caroline

Phil Slade said...

Hi Lynette, Kay L directed me to your blog and the gull chicks. It's so good to hear everyone is delighted about the chicks. Herring Gulls nest on lots of roofs around here in the UK but they aren't always popular because the adults are so protective of the young and will attack us humans if we get too close.