Monday, July 11, 2011

Magpie Tales: No. 73



.

Reach out your hand...pull

me near that I might not

lose sight of all I love.




.
.
.
This painting speaks to me of the disconnect we sometimes feel in our lives...in our families and our passions. Too often, doing what's expected of us has little to do with what makes us feel gloriously alive....
.
Today, I feel infused with life as I've learned about a poet with whom I was not familiar, and a painter.

The piece above is titled "People of Chilmark', painted in 1920 by American artist and muralist Thomas Hart Benton. His lush, earthy work highlights everyday scenes of life in the U.S. As an admirer of Diego Rivera, I recognized some of the same elements in Benton's work.
.
This is my first time to join Magpie Tales. For more tales based on this photo, do stop by the link below...
.
.
Additionally, my friend Debra left a comment on my page referencing the English poet, Gerard Manley Hopkins, whose striking and unique approach to language enlivened the strict poetic forms of the time. Thanks D.,for brightening my day! 
.
.

9 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love your poem so much! It says it all!

adrielleroyale said...

Wonderful interpretation - I'm not sure I would have seen that otherwise... Have a great week! :)

Deborah said...

I agree, the interpretation fits perfectly. It's hard to see it otherwise now!

jabblog said...

Well done! I found no inspiration at all this week.

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Beautifil..the words and the image..both rich and full..

hyperCRYPTICal said...

I love your words.

Anna :o]

Pat said...

I think your interpretation fits the painting beautifully! I experience that disconnect of the pull between "I must do..." and "I really want to do..."

When I have a long "TO DO" list, I do the tasks as quickly as possible, knowing that afterward I can do something fun, something I enjoy. Then I realize that I feel good about completing the tedious tasks.

Kay L. Davies said...

You seem to have a very good understanding of the painting and the artist, Lynette. Very well done!
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Sue said...

Lovely words. Welcome to Magpie Tales :)