Friday, July 1, 2011

Book Blurb Friday: No. 18




What Lies Behind


All is not as it seems in the Robbins’ household. Without question, the well-kept home blends perfectly into the neighbourhood…yet people hurry past it, made uneasy by something indefinable in the air.
.
.
Peering out from behind slotted blinds, the ten-year-old twins who live there know well what the house emits…it is the smell of fear, and it hangs about them like a shroud.
.
All is not as it seems in the Robbins’ household, but to whom might the children appeal? Not the police…their father is one of them; not their mother…all resistance has long since been beaten out of her.
.
Ashley and Bryce know all they can trust is each other…
.
.
In her debut novel, Clare Raines takes us to the front lines of spousal abuse, viewed through the eyes of the children caught in its maelstrom. Edgy, raw and topical, this is a book you will not easily forget.
.
(150 words)
.

Yes, it's another dark piece that came to me as a whole upon seeing this photo. I do believe my muse is telling me it's time to leap in and tackle some serious writing instead of just talking about doing so!
.
Lisa at Writing in The Buff, invites us to write a book jacket blurb  in 150 words or less that will entice potential readers into buying the book. This week's cover photo is graciously supplied by Becky Povich. For more takes on the prompt, do check out the link below...
.
NB:  I haven't entirely worked out my computer woes yet, so it may take me a while to visit. Please bear with me....

15 comments:

Pat Tillett said...

It certainly got the hook in me. Very good! I'm sure people had that same feeling while walking past our house when I was young. If my mom caught anybody staring, she'd be outside confronting them in a quick second...

Lynette Killam said...

I know what you mean, Pat...the same cloud hung over my childhood. I think this piece came to me so easily because I remember all too well the secrecy and apprehension that were part of each day. I'm wondering if I could expand this into a book...exorcise those demons once and for all!

Thanks for stopping by...I really appreciate your comment.

Pat Tillett said...

I think it would make an excellent book. Those that haven't lived through it, have no idea... I don't usually add my own links to posts, (and you probably don't like people to do it),but if you have the time and/or inclination. Here is something I wrote about the subject.
http://patricktillett.blogspot.com/2011/03/rocky-marcianos-nose.html

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, Lynette, really? Go for it, then. Exorcise those demons once and for all.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Lynette--If that is the direction in which your muse is nudging you, surrender.

I definitely would like to read this book. Modern-day monsters DO indeed exist. And a book written from the perspective of the children would be heart-wrenching.

Susan Fobes said...

Ooh...this one is good, and you're right-time to start on it!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Listen to your muse.

The following Ray Bradbury quote is one I have posted on my blog: "Find out what your hero or heroine wants, and when he or she wakes up in the morning, just follow him or her all day." I think the twins would like you to follow them!

Tammy said...

Loved the dark take though not what inspired it. Still, the best exorcising converts those demons into muses. Powerful, thought-provoking stuff that I would buy in a heartbeat!

Grandma's Goulash said...

Your blurb had me quickly hooked, Lynette. It has a real emotional impact and I'm sure your own experience contributes to that. Do think carefully before starting that book. You will be enmeshed in it for a long while and that might not have the desired effect. Only you can know that for sure.

My Blurb: Golden Age

Sherry Blue Sky said...

YES< YOU MUST WRITE THIS BOOK - memoir style would be the most fascinating read ever..........do it, do it, do it....please:)

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Hi Lynette,

Wow! This is great. I love all the elements and how you have combined them. It is so funny that this picture inspired the theme of twins for 3 of us so far.

Go for it; I'll buy it! (I like what you wrote about writing instead of talking about it; I need to do the very same thing.)

Kathy M.

Rinkly Rimes said...

I'd certainly buy it! It has the makings of a cliff-hanger.

Ella said...

Great job; I like your dark take...
Listen to your Muse; she wants to teach you something! xXx

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

I like it! Sounds like you're getting a good message.
Mad Kane

jabblog said...

There could be no better stepping-off point than this - terrific blurb for the story you really should write!