Monday, September 6, 2010

Sunday Rambling


.
.
For us, Sunday is a day to wander. With our little dog in tow, my husband and I explore places near and far, changing plans and directions as the mood takes us. Yesterday, we set out for the shore, only to come across a local park we had not been to before. We ended up staying for the afternoon and never did make it to the beach.

.
I knew it was the right choice when we came across one of the abandoned buildings that I so love to photograph.

.

Watershed Park is so named because of an underground aquifer that feeds into the neighbourhood water works.
.
The derelict remains of an old pumping station immediately captured my attention, and unlike the places we so often explore, there was no sign prohibiting entry!

.
I might have wished for better light in which to photograph. After an uncommonly hot, dry summer, we've slammed into a gray and damp September. Our normally lush, coastal rainforests are subdued and pale
and the sun has hidden itself away.
.
.
.
That did not deter me from taking shots as I wandered through the brambles and moss that had overtaken the ruins.
.
The park is mostly evergreen, and the odd bright tree stands out like an exclamation point against the darker background.








Continuing on the trail, I focused on the many nurse trees our forests have in abundance as new life begins in old stumps.


Already, the air had the rich, earthy smell of Autumn, and a layer of dampness lightly coated the leaves.
.
Shiny salal and skunk cabbage peeked out from the trees, and tall, purple columbine peopled the paths edge.
.

We had the park mainly to ourselves. Families of shcool-age children would be at the mall in search of back-to-school clothes, or tracking down the
inevitable list of stationery needs. With no such concerns,
we wandered at leisure, watching our own playful pup as fondly as if she were a child.
.
As it neared time to leave, the sun finally put in an appearance, laying pretty dappled patterns across the crunchy gravel path and softening the air. I took a few last shots, packed away my camera and we set off to Starbucks, our normal way to finish off each Sunday walk!
.
.
It was a very good afternoon indeed...

.

7 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Beautiful, Lynette.
I don't quite know where that old pumping station is/was but your photos make me feel I've been home for a visit.
Kay

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I think derelict buildings are at their most beautiful when they are overrun by nature and being reclaimed by trees and foliage.

Catherine said...

Goodness ~ what a beautiful forest Lynette ~ but of course BC has so many more beautiful trees then Saskatchewan it wouldn't take much to impress me! :) Very lovely!

xo Catherine

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Absolutely, strikingly beautiful, every shot. I want to WALK on the path! You're lucky to have a place that like nearby. Love the "exclamation mark" tree - what a shot of green!Love the old concrete ruins.........a nice Sunday ramble with Meeghan. She looks so tiny in the photo:)

Unknown said...

Fabulous, Lynette!!
Was it as much fun wandering where you were allowed to go as it is when you -ahem- can't see the no trespassing signs?
And to end it at starbucks. well. Perfection!
xo
lynn

msdewberry said...

Never heard of Watershed Park, will have to look that up!! I like your photos, looks like a nice place to spend the day discovering!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Back again from up above -- just to tell you I love your blog; thanks for dropping in to FT-L; I'm so glad you did -- while we're on this roadtrip I haven't had much time at all to explore new virtual places (too busy with the real ones) so all I do is look at people who left a comment on ours. I'm so glad you did and I'll be back.