Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Irish Uncle

.
A hand held out..a
glimpse of other lives I might
one day make my own…

.
.
In a childhood laced with strife, my Uncle Milford laid before me his art books and music so that I might know there was much in life that was beautiful. I have never forgotten the generosity of spirit that promised me a brighter future…
.
I'm linking this post to the Thursday Think Tank Prompt at Poets United. For more poetry, please check out their link....
http://poetryblogroll.blogspot.com/
.
If you enjoyed Robert's music choice of Leonard Cohen on the Think Tank today, you might like to check out a piece I reposted on my other blog...
.

13 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

I love the simplicity of both the picture and the words - so much meaning conveyed in so few words.

ninotaziz said...

Lynette,
I loved it that your uncle shared art and music with you. I too had a houseful of uncles and aunties and cousins - and above all grandparents who loved books of all kinds...

Systematic Weasel said...

Wonderful share! Great response to the prompt! =)

-Weasel

Mary said...

Every child should have an Uncle Milford. Nice post!

The Square Corner said...

Well done. It is like a photo you catch on film

Carrie Burtt said...

This is so wonderful Lynette, i just love the photo of your uncle, and the beautiful memories of him that you captured in word...what an amazing man, and what an amazing inpact he had on your life! :-)

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Wow, you say so much in so few words, I so admire that. It is a gift. I love your tall dreamy uncle. And it is way cool that the life you created for yourself is so rich in art and music and books. Your haiku blows me away!

Rinkly Rimes said...

He looks charming and your words prove that he was indeed so.

Tete said...

Your Uncle Milford must have been a remarkable man- just look at how you turned out!
Hugs- Tete

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Lynette,
Lovely to have had an uncle who was so successfully influential in your life. He would be very proud of all your photographic and poetic successes now!
Lovely words Lynette,
Eileen

Diane T said...

Lovely words of respect for your uncle, Lynnette!
Beautifully stated.

Ella said...

This is so reflective evoking a man showing you
doors n' windows you may enter. Giving you a key
to a new world~ Really lovely~ Handsome man!

Dasuntoucha said...

It's amazing how exposure to new worlds can help fuel a child's imagination...brilliant piece of brevity.