Monday, August 30, 2010

The World Needs More Shakespeare!

I have never understood why the world in general does not love Shakespeare as dearly as I do!
.
William Shakespeare was a man of the people…he spoke for us all, and did so simply and eloquently. In his plays can be found the whole world, with all it beauty and all its horror. In truth, Shakespeare was the precursor to today’s soap operas and action flicks...so much storytelling began with him.



There is not an emotion
experienced that Shakespeare did not explore...from
bawdy humour to heartrending pathos, he illuminated them all with his mighty pen. In our everday speech, we often quote him unwittingly ; so many of his thoughts have worked into our lexicon that we spit them out as cliches.
.
I am personally fond of his insults. The f-word so generously peppered in today's conversations is not only boorish, it is so overused as to completely ineffectual!
.
If you want to mutter under your breath at someone, try, "Thy puny unchin-snouted hugger mugger!", or
.
"Hence, horrible villain, or I'll spurn thine eyes like balls before me; I'll unhair thy head, Thou shalt be whipp'd with wire, and stew'd'in brine, smarting in lingering pickle!"
.
Doesn't that feel good to say aloud! And the puzzled looks such mutterings engender, are always a joy to behold...
.
Last night, I had the pleasure of seeing "Henry V" performed in Vancouver, in a tent on the seashore. It was a brilliant production, beautifully acted and bursting with a lush combination of brotherhood, loyalty, treachery and romance. For a magical space in time, I was rendered breathless with excitement and anticipation.
.
This morning, I remain transported by it. To have glimpsed such raw emotion, to have experienced, even briefly, the depth and range of what makes us uniquely human is both humbling and inspiring. The world seems a much bigger and more beautiful place to me today.
.
If you have not already seen Kenneth Branagh's version of 'Henry V', do consider renting it. Branagh is a remarkable actor, (and a fellow Belfast native!), who
could make you fall in love with Shakespeare, too.
.

I am shamelessly preparing to indoctrinate
a new generation. I have many children's versions of his plays ready to read aloud to my future grandchildren, should I be lucky enough to have them. I picture us making our own costumes, gathering up props and performing wonderful, witty versions of Shakespeare. I can hardly wait...
.
I remain convinced that the world really does need more Shakespeare. I can think of no better way to remind us just how special and unique each one of us really is.
.

6 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yes, I like a good dose of Shakespeare every once in a while too. Did you ever watch that Canadian series "Slings and Arrows" about the crazy goings-on at a Shakespearean Festival? The series used excerpts from Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth and King Lear very effectively in the plot lines. Hilarious too.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Oh this is a wonderful, meaty, breathtaking post! It must have been wonderful watching it last night outside against the sunset by the sea...beautiful! I love your accompanying photos, the books, the text, the posters......fantastic. I can just see you performing yard theatre with little ones, you'll be so great at it! I LOVE the insults! It reminds me of my high school friend Marcel who used Shakespearean insults when the rowdy boys tormented him......"Begone, thou milk-faced fool!" People SHOULD replace the f-word with some of these, it would make the world a place of smiles! Even if they are PUZZLED smiles!!!:) Great post! I envy you - Whistler AND Shakespeare on the beach in one weekend? Where are the Whistler photos? Your audience awaits!

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

Lynette,
I agree with you about the need for some more works and words,perhaps from a modern-day Shakespeare. The words from Shakespeare himself, are so wonderful and charged with emotion.
I also endorse your support for Kenneth Brannagh, being a Belfast born native myself.
I met him at the opening night of his film, Dead Again, when it premiered in Belfast, many years ago!!
Eileen

Netty said...

I adore Shakespeare and have performed in many of his plays, just adore his use of words. x

Katy Cameron said...

I think the problem is, that as a school kid we get inundated with him. Not with the fun stuff, but with analysing and tearing every word, every sentence, into pieces, then dissecting them and chopping them up a bit more! I'm positive he didn't mean half of what my various English teachers swear he did! We also got dragged to the RSC at Stratford once a year too...

Musician said...

Great Blog, Lynette! You write so beautifully; your words are so well chosen and flow uninhibited. It is such a joy to read your writing! Love, Sheila